Wednesday, January 6, 2010

White lie

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything.  Between the holidays, traveling home and fellowshipin' with all my loved ones, I've neglected my blog.  I will confess, it was a conscious neglect.  Let me digress.

Being home I've had the pleasure to run into people I know, wether at the grocery, a restaurant or at a holiday party.   In the small talk that always takes place, the conversation seems to lead to my blog/photos and then I hear this,

"I can't wait to see all the photos from Nora's first Christmas!" 

....and if you're reading this and I smiled and said, "Oh I know, there will be lots!" I'm sorry, but I lied. (well, fibbed).

You see, I had all intention of shooting the heck outta her first Christmas.  But when the moment came, and I was stuck behind the camera, watching her faces and giggles thru the lens, I decided I couldn't do it anymore.  I had to put down the camera and be there.  The memories unfolding in front of me are far too precious to me to experience thru a lens.  I decided I would be present and participate fully.  So I took maybe 3 photos of her first gift and put my camera aside.

Looking back on my decision, I have no regrets.  Photos are amazing and priceless to have and capture those special memories, but sometimes, you just have to put the gosh darn camera down and BE IN THEM instead of capture them.  I guess that's the curse of being a photographer.  So yeah, I don't have a lot to show you, but I have them all in my heart to remember.  It was a wonderful Christmas. :)

*I really didn't want to show what I got, because it's super lacking, but oh well- we're all friends and even when it's not a great photo, it's still a great memory.









1 comment:

  1. this blog was so well-put. I always envy skilled photogs like you bc you can always showcase all these amazing photos of the ppl in your life at any time....but i never really considered the other side of it, which is you actually getting to enjoy the moments an experiencing them, instead of SHOOTING them! i love all of you blogs,but this one was very touching!! loved the 3 pics you did take tho;)

    ReplyDelete