Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dear Old Version of Me, I'll Make You Proud. I Swany.

I'm starting to feel good. Like strong good. Like when I was a teenager good.  When I could run, jump, play and flip good. And it feels so gooooood.  

I was at the gym, running on the good ole treadmill last week and watching Dr. Oz (I love his show, he is so inspiring)! And he said something that has stuck with me. "If the high school version of yourself was to see you today, what would he/she say?"

I started thinking about my health, how I used to feel and how I feel now. I know I'm not in the same shape as I was then, but I'm on a short path leading my straight there. I can sorta-kinda remember the way it felt to stretch, cheer and feel those abs crunch.  This is my motivation.  I believe it has always been my motivation deep down: There is absolutely no reason why we can't stay in great shape until the end of our lives.  It can be done, has been done. I'm determined to always stay on top of my game and be able to run around and play like a kid with my grandchildren.

Someone once told me, concerning left over baby weight, 'that's just how it is.'  I was so upset about that.  I often thought back to it and refused it.  No way is that how it is.  We are in control of our own bodies. Although, if you lay down and surrender to that theory, you're right, it will be just how it is.  I've heard a million complaints on how celebrities lose their baby weight so fast, and it's not fair because they had a nutritionist/trainer/etc.  I even said it myself!  The thing is, if we're too lazy to do it ourselves, and too poor to hire these people, then yes, of course we will never be healthy. And if I care, we care, enough about ourselves to be our own nutritionist/trainer/motivator then we will look dang good and feel dang amazing.

After I had Nora, I never wanted to feed her junk.  I was determined to start good habits. The most precious thing we have is our bodies, we should take care of it.  I should take care of mine. We should take care of each other.  It's not okay to say it's okay and live a little, esp if we live a little all the time.  There is heart disease and diabetes in my family, which means, if I don't take care of myself now, I'll more than likely inherit them.  I have the answer and possible cure to something that could/will take my life early, what the heck! That's a blessing.  Why not use the information to my advantage. And if I end up inheriting them in the end, at least I know I did my best to prevent it.

One more thing, then I'm done. :) You know when people say, "I'm going to die anyways"? Did it ever occur that it isn't how long you live, but how much you can do in the time you have left? It's not about living longer, but living healthier. Enjoying life to the max.  Get out and do something! run, breathe deep, hike up a huge mountain and surf the pacific.  If I don't do it now, I'll never do it. And I don't want to be the old lady on her deathbed begging my grandchildren to do what I never did.

-FYI- This post is for me.  Not for anyone else but myself.  Sometimes when you write stuff down, especially for others to read, you tend to stick to your guns.  Emily, just eat right and stay active.  And never buy a bigger size anything.


To insure good health: Eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life. -William London 


So with that, I feel guilty as heck for eating those M&M's Dustin brought home last night. Just no reason for that garbage, sugar and high fructose corn syrup! I bought all fresh produce yesterday, and I'm about to go enjoy a nice cold orange and take my little one to the park. Seize the day!!! And I'll shutup, too much coffee makes me nuts! I swear.

Oh pictures, yeah. That's what this blog is for. :)
Here are a few more shots of Katie from the other night, (see previous post).



1 comment:

  1. Great post and I couldn't agree more. So much SHYTE in our food today, for all sorts of different reasons. Aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, MSG .... no thanks. I'll grow my own. Health is important....and it all fits into the same big puzzle....physical health/mental health/spiritual health.....they are petals of the same flower.

    ReplyDelete